Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Today's "Good Morning"

Today, I awoke to the sounds of our ewe & ram near the house. Not good! The ram gets aggressive with me and is not very cooperative unless Beloved is with me. I got Abbie settled with a bowl of cereal and Micah was playing in his crib, so I went out to put the sheep in their grazing pen, which is the larger of the 2 enclosures. Well, they were having none of that! The ram kept dropping his head down and hitting me again. I had a stick that I bumped him with a few times to keep him away but he seemed to take that as a challenge and got worse. I was able to avoid more hits, but had to keep side stepping him while directing the ewe into their stable. The ram finally joined her and I was able temporarily fix the gate that they had knocked down. I gave them a good feeding of hay & grain to keep them happy for a while. At least until the gate can get repaired when Beloved gets home. If I am able to, I will repair the gate myself once the little ones are napping after lunch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are having quite the day. I will pray that the rest of your day is more peaceful and sedate:)

Tami said...

Rams can be dangerous! Please be careful around him, especially if your little ones are anywhere around. Sometimes you can put a little lemon juice or vinegar in a spray bottle full of water and spray him in the face when he comes at you. When he feels the sting he may stop and think twice about ramming you. If you do this often enough you may be able to break him of the habit.