Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Oh Good Grief!

Last night, I had to go to the Emergency room. I had bruised the inside of my right leg just slightly above the knee nearly a week ago and thought nothing of it. Night before last, I started having "electrical shock" sensations in the area. The sensation was quite strong and painful, occurring 3 times within an hour. So, after Beloved got home from work, I went to the hospital to get it checked out. They found that I had pinched a nerve. I am now having to wear an immobilizer on the leg and use crutches for the next 1-2 weeks. {insert rolling eyes here}
Beloved took the day off today to drive me to town and to help out. Starting tomorrow, I will have help so Beloved will be going back to work.

This has really brought to the forefront the thought of what happens when one person is sick or recovering from an injury when you live off-grid? It isn't as easy to work around as it is when you have electricity and the daily tasks are done by machines.

I can see that we will have to have some kind of plan set in place for the future. Not that we are looking forward to another such incident, but to be prepared. When you do everything the "old way" and do not use laundry machines or other conveniences there has to be a preplanned alternative for how things get done. We are lucky this time in that we have a family member who was already planned to visit for a month and is arriving today.

Families with older children have the help of their children to pick up the slack when Momma or Papa are recoving from illness or injury. If there are no older children or other relatives nearby to help, you must have a plan of action. This is one area of our lifestyle we have not had need to address yet, but are going to start working on very soon.

3 comments:

MyBulletinBoard said...

Praying for you, sister. Just seems that whatever you do, the devil is right there trying to discourage and undo. So glad the Lord knew you'd need help and already made provision. God bless, Liz

Anonymous said...

Paula,
Sorry to hear of your trip to the hospital. I will pray for a quick recovery for you. I am glad you shared your experience though, so others can make plans for situations like that before they happen. Right now I have two daughters who can take pretty good care of me, but we still must plan for a situation where they might not be available to help.
I am glad that things are falling into place for you though being off grid. I know we continue to make plans and prepare for the time where we will be able to live off grid.

Anonymous said...

Hope your leg feels better in no time! I am enjoying discovering your blog.